Historic Kingston Presbyterian Church celebrates its 300th Year
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Kingston Presbyterian Church
Florence Perren-Diaz, Publicity Chr.
Summary – Kingston Presbyterian Church, chartered in 1723, is celebrating its 300th year in the historic Village of Kingston, NJ. Located on Route 27 (King’s Highway in the colonial era) the church and its cemetery have been central to Kingston’s history from colonial times and the Revolutionary War to the present 21st century. The community is invited to celebrations planned throughout 2023.
Kingston, NJ – Kingston Presbyterian Church, chartered in 1723 in the historic village of Kingston NJ, is celebrating its 300th year, with celebrations throughout 2023. The church was originally located in a log building in the Church Cemetery, on the colonial era King’s Highway, now Route 27. During the Revolutionary War, George Washington met in front of the church with his officers on horseback after the Battle of Princeton, January 3rd, 1777, where they decided to head to Morristown to rest their weary and battle scarred troops. Today, the cemetery is a favorite local walking route where walkers can view colonial era as well as modern headstones.
In 1852 the church moved to its present site, two blocks north of the Cemetery, on Route 27. The church, and its iconic steeple constructed in 1856 and reconstructed in 2015 with modern long-lasting, weather resistant materials, is a landmark in Kingston village, founded in 1683.
Kingston Presbyterian Church is hosting 300th Anniversary Celebrations throughout 2023 to highlight special events in its three centuries of history. Rev. Sharyl Dixon, Kingston Presbyterian’s pastor since 2014, and members are inviting area residents and businesses to participate in this celebration of its history.
Upcoming celebrations include a May 21st Welcome Home Worship Service featuring Rev. John Heinson, KPC pastor for 37 years, a June 3rd Kingston Historical Society event at KPC, and the church’s June 24th Blueberry Festival, an annual community event enjoyed by area families on the expansive lawns of the church. In September the church will celebrate those with 50 years+ of membership, in October the Kingston Historical Society will join with KPC members to host Cemetery Trails, a tour of the cemetery highlighting stories of village founders and veterans buried there, and in November children of the church will bury a time capsule. The Kingston Historical Society will feature a history of Kingston Presbyterian Church at the D&R Canal Lock-Tender’s House.
Directions to Kingston Presbyterian Church and the Cemetery are available HERE.
ABOUT KINGSTON PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Kingston Presbyterian Church was chartered in 1723, although records indicate its existence circa 1715 in the village of Kingston, founded in 1683. It was originally located in the cemetery on Church St. where General George Washington held his Conference on Horseback after the Battle of Princeton in 1777. The current church was built in 1852 and the steeple (added in 1856) are landmarks in the area.
Rev. Sharyl Dixon, Pastor
Kingston Presbyterian Church chartered 1723
4565 Route 27, PO Box 148
Kingston, N.J. 08528